Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Obama and the AIG

Obama Received a $101,332 Bonus from AIG

Dan Spencer
Right Side Politics Examiner
March 17, 3:01 PM ·

Senator Barack Obama received a $101,332 bonus from American International Group in the form of political contributions according to Opensecrets.org.

The two biggest Congressional recipients of bonuses from the A.I.G. are - Senators Chris Dodd and Senator Barack Obama.

The A.I.G. Financial Products affiliate of A.I.G. gave out $136,928, the most of any AIG affiliate, in the 2008 cycle. I would note that A.I.G.’s financial products division is the unit that wrote trillions of dollars’ worth of credit-default swaps and "misjudged" the risk.

The Washington Post reports a "mob effect" at A.I.G financial products division:
A tidal wave of public outrage over bonus payments swamped American International Group yesterday. Hired guards stood watch outside the suburban Connecticut offices of AIG Financial Products, the division whose exotic derivatives brought the insurance giant to the brink of collapse last year. Inside, death threats and angry letters flooded e-mail inboxes. Irate callers lit up the phone lines. Senior managers submitted their resignations. Some employees didn't show up at all.

With the anger and rage that is being exhibited against A.I.G., perhaps the bonuses Obama received from A.I.G. explain Obama's A.I.G crocodile tears.

Now that the Wall street Journal has revealed that A.I.G. paid bonuses of $1 million or more to 73 employees, it's time to ask if recipients of A.I.G. "bonuses," including President Obama, will give what now ought to be taxpayer money back?

More:
The Real AIG Scandal

AIG Bailout Went to European Banks

As US Economy Continues To Tank, More Bonuses Planned For Bankers

03-17-2009: Citigroup CEO Awarded $10.82 Million Bonus